NMAWC, as the warfare center of excellence for Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), focuses efforts across numerous resource sponsors, systems commands, research laboratories, training organizations, and operational commands to ensure Navy-wide competency in the ASW mission areas. NMAWC is the primary command through which issues related to ASW are coordinated with tactical development agencies and commands.
As the principal authority for the ASW missions, NMAWC:
- Develops doctrine, tactics, techniques, and procedures as the ASW Center of Excellence.
- Focuses efforts across the ASW mission areas to include resource sponsors, Systems Commands, Laboratories, and experimentation initiatives; Articulates ASW operational and future readiness capabilities requirements; Promotes rapid delivery of new technologies and training, through support of Sea Shield and Sea Trial.
- Promotes ASW training and qualification improvement; Supports the numbered Fleet Commanders in ASW integrated training and certification.
- Supports ASW performance assessment at all levels against standardized, common metrics.
- Supports Theater ASW.
- Supports Operational Commanders with a maritime component commander and theater ASW staff support.